The world is now about too many opportunities, too advanced, and too much stress. As a result, anxiety disorder is one of the most common mental health issues. The focus on a busy life schedule plays a vital part in increasing anxiety disorder cases. Over 40 million of the US population suffer from anxiety disorders, making it the most prevalent mental health illness.
When life becomes all about material things and conditions, it is necessary to invest a part of life in ourselves. It is essential to focus on your mind and soul. That is where mindfulness comes into play.
How to Be Mindful?
Mindfulness is about focusing on the present. It demands concentrating on what happens to you internally and externally, without actually attaching to the moment. Mindfulness is about ‘What’ and ‘How’ skills.
What skill denotes what you do while practicing mindfulness. It has different processes such as:
- To observe what you see, hear, feel, think or notice, internally or externally
- To describe what you see, listen or experience without judging
- To participate wholly in what is around you without the fear of judgments and without being self-conscious.
‘How’ skill means how you practice mindfulness. It requires skills such as:
- Be non-judgemental
- Do things one-mindfully. Avoid multitasking.
- Do things effectively. Do not carry the thoughts of right and wrong, fair and unfair. Instead, do things that are effective and as required at the moment.
Why Should You Practice Mindfulness?
The benefits associated with mindfulness are psychological, cognitive, and physical.
- Studies prove that children and young adults who practice mindfulness were less stressed and least impacted by post-traumatic stress disorder. In addition, mindfulness practices are proven to reduce existing stress and protect from any chances of anxiety.
- Mindfulness is proven to make a person happy. This, in turn, fights diseases and plays a vital role in keeping a person healthy. For example, a study conducted on diabetic patients proved that mindfulness practices made them happy and helped control blood sugar levels.
- Mindfulness practices increase sleep and memory. Studies prove that a three-minute mindfulness session can be effective in improving memory. The result demonstrates how powerful mindfulness practices are and how frequent mindfulness practices can boost memory and sleep way too much.
- Mindfulness is proven to make individuals and groups more creative. Apart from this, it enables people to tackle problems, improve the mind’s focus, increase concentration and increase the brain’s capacity for cognitive development.
- Mindfulness keeps you healthy. It triggers telomerase activity, which is an enzyme that controls aging and age-related defects. In simpler terms, mindfulness can help a person stay younger by mind and body.
- Immunity is vital to stay healthy and fight off diseases. For example, a study on breast cancer patients proves that mindfulness increases their immunity apart from decreasing stress and sleep deprivation.
Mindfulness brings changes to the brain in the form of proteins and changes the brain’s activity. It is crucial for learning, memory, and cognitive skills. It begins from minutes of practice to building resilience, character, and a healthy lifestyle with mindfulness as a part of it.